Since its formation in 1973 the Zonta club of Whangarei has been active in the community undertaking fundraising to finance such projects as:
- Whangarei Addiction Centre, Whangarei Adult Literacy, Sweet Louise
- Books in Homes
- Funding and support of Women’s refuge
- Producing a booklet, Choices for Women
- Sophie Elliott Foundation
- The club also raises funds for two of its own awards:
- The Postgraduate Scholarship
- The School Leavers Scholarship
Zonta Whangarei envisions a future in which women’s rights are recognised as human rights and every woman is able to achieve her full potential.
In such a world every woman is literate and has access to education, healthcare, legal and economic resources on an equal basis with men.
In such a world no woman lives in fear of violence.
Advancing the Status of Women Worldwide
Founded in 1919, Zonta is a global service organization of executives in business and the professions working together, across political and social boundaries, to advance the status of women worldwide.
Zonta Whangarei members volunteer their time, talents and money to local and international service programs, as well as scholarship and award programs aimed at furthering women’s education, leadership and youth development.
Charities that we have supported include:
- Whangarei Women’s Refuge
- Northland Cancer Society
- North Haven Hospice
- Whangarei Teen Mothers School
- NZ Plunket (Books for Babies)
- Duffy Books in Homes
- Dress for Success
- Miriam Centre
- Choices for Women Booklets
- Auckland Cancer Society Domain Lodge
- Endometriosis NZ (ME Programme in Schools)
- Northland Rescue Helicopter
- Child Cancer Foundation Northland
- Whangarei Salvation Army
- Accident & Emergency Women in Crisis Fund.
- R Tucker Thompson
- New Horizons for Women
- Gateway Assessment Services
Since 1973 the club has supported local and district charities to the value of $210,601.00 and Zonta International Charities $34,640.00
Objectives of Zonta International
Zonta clubs throughout the world join together to increase the impact of their work.
- To improve the legal, political, economic, professional and health status of women.
- To work for the advancement of understand standing goodwill and health status for women.
- To foster and spirit of good fellowship among Zontians and Zonta clubs.
- To encourage fellowship of women in business and professions.
Zonta is committed to women’s development and has supported a series of international service projects in more than 20 countries, primarily in cooperation with the United States.
Zonta international foundation was established as a vehicle for administering the service funds from Zonta International. The foundation then distributes monies for the Endowment Fund, the Amelia Earhart Fund, the International Service Fund, the Michael J Freeman scholarship for Irish Women, The Young Women In Public Affairs awards and the Jane W Klausman Women In Business scholarships.
For more information on Zonta International click here
A programme of Zonta International, dedicated to eliminating violence against women and children. It is funded by the Zonta International Foundation and focuses on:
- Education and Awareness
- Advocacy for Leislative and Political Reform
Living without violence is a basic human right, essential to participating fully in society and enjoying a high quality of life. By drawing upon the expertise and resources of Zonta club members worldwide, Zisvaw can potentially help every woman’s Consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)